Overwashing Face Makes Acne Worse

Overwashing Face Makes Acne Worse

Advertisements
6/27/2009 01:02:00 PM

I learned this the hard way; Overwashing your face will actually make your acne worse. Way worse! As a part of my face washing tips and mistakes week, I had to tell you this. I first started to get acne back in my freshman year of high school. Like anyone who is uneducated in the topic of teen acne or acne in general, I thought that my face was breaking out due to the fact that it was dirty.

Overwashing Face Makes Acne Worseimage source: flickr

Don't Overwash your face!

I washed my face anywhere from 6 - 10 times a day with a bar of soap. The following bullets summarize what happened to my skin.

  • Yeah. Definitely not the smartest thing in the world, especially since you're only supposed to wash your face twice a day.
  • Not only that, most bars of soap carry high amounts of bacteria which can make your acne way worse.
  • Finally, because of the fact that I was washing my face so much, my skin became extremely dry and irritated.
  • Oh. My acne also worsened.

With the above being said, please don't make the same mistake that I made.

Made the mistake of Overwashing already?

  • If you've made the above mistake, you'll need to stop using all topical acne products for about a week.
  • You need to give your skin time to recover.
  • Purchase a moisturizer. I personally recommend the moisturizer I mentioned in the post, what should I use?
  • Until your skin recovers, only let it get wet twice a day.
  • After it's dried, apply a moisturizer.
  • After about a week, your skin will likely have recovered.

Conclusion:

Yep. I was too lazy to think of a better headline. Lol. It happens. So overwashing your face will make your acne worse. When you overwash your face, you strip your skin of it's natural oils, then it begins overproducing oils. Thus, your acne becomes worse. So DON'T overwash your face.

Acne Teen's Related Posts

wash face twice a dayWash Face Twice a Day I have been getting a lot of emails lately inquiring how many times a day one should wash their face. You should all be washing your face twice a day!

wash face with warm or cold waterWash Face with Warm or Cold Water Many people have been flooding my inbox with the question, "Should I wash my face with warm or cold water?"

Wash face with water only

Wash Face with Water Only? A lot of people who don't use acne products may decide to wash their face with only the use of water and nothing else. Is this okay?

0 comments: